I'm endeavouring to be a bit better about posting new recipes more often! So, going forward there will be a brand new MS diet recipe up on the blog every week (hopefully - I'll try my best!). Variety and new ideas are so essential for being able to maintain this way of life. It's great to stick to your tried and tested favourites but every now and then you just need a fresh idea to make you fall in love with this way of eating all over again. I fully believe that this week's recipe has the potential to do that! It's absolutely divine.
Zucchini (courgette) is one of my favourite vegetables as it can be used in so many ways. It is high in vitamin A, C and folate and low in saturated fat, so is especially good for women on the MS diet. Vitamin A is involved in immune function, vision, and cell communication. It also has anti-inflammatory properties which will help to keep you feeling strong and symptom free.
This recipe is derived from the Turkish or Greek zucchini fritter but has been made MS diet friendly with the removal of the cheese and bread.
Serving the fritters with the vegan cashew sour cream is a delicious combination. Cashews make an excellent nutritious and creamy sauce that will just make the fritters melt in your mouth. This recipe can be eaten as an appetizer or as a main with salad.
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1/2 cup gluten free flour
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup water
- Grate the unpeeled zucchini. Place in a colander, sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt and leave to drain for 15 minutes. Squeeze out excess juice and place in a large bowl.
- Add the minced garlic, shallots, coriander, ground black pepper (to taste) and mix. Gradually add the flour and mix well.
- Heat the coconut oil in a non-stick frying pan to a medium-high heat. Add tablespoonfuls of the mixture and press to form patties, spacing them well apart. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden. Place cooked fritters on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb any excess oil.
- Serve warm as they are or with the vegan cashew sour cream below.
- Vegan cashew sour cream: Soak cashews in water for 2 hours then drain. Add to blender with lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, salt and a little of the water. Blend until smooth, gradually adding more water until desired consistency is reached.
Let me know if you try it and whether you enjoyed it.
Chat to you soon!